Saturday, January 22, 2011

First Carry Gun, Part II

My last blog was on picking out a carry gun and when it was all over with I found I was still getting questions on exactly what to buy. In reply to one follow-up I realized that my response was a good foundation for a blog on exactly what I would get if someone were to send me to the gun store to purchase gear for them. While there are obviously myriad choices out there other than what I have listed, these are my personal picks for getting started in the concealed carry world. Please don’t be offended if your favorite pistol or holster or thong manufacturer isn’t listed. In a matter of full disclosure, despite my following recommendations, I carry the following: Colt 1911 Gov. 45ACP, Galco Summer Comfort or Adams Leather Avenger style, Comp-Tac Kydex Reinforced Contour Belt.

Your mileage may vary on the following items, but I don’t think anyone would ever say they are BAD decisions.

Carry Guns
I would highly suggest one of the striker fired polymer guns that are very popular right now, and very affordable. Glock set the standard years ago. Today I find the Smith & Wesson M&P line and Springfield Armory's XDm series to be the best of them at a reasonable price. HK's HK45C (compact) is possibly the best of the polymer guns out but carries a steep price tag in the area of $1000. Also to be considered are the Kahr MK9, the new S&W SD series, and MAYBE even Ruger's new LC9 (no first hand experience yet). These last three guns will be very tempting due to their small size but may not be the best idea for starting out learning to shoot. I would suggest that 9mm be the caliber of choice. It is very effective, easy to shoot, and more affordable than other major calibers. Don't get too lost in the caliber wars, or what some gun store commando says is the best thing ever.

So let's recap guns real quick. Top Picks: S&W M&P, Springfield XDm, Glock (in that order). Very Secondary Picks: Kahr MK9, S&W SD, Ruger LC9 (no order there).

Leather
Gotta have a holster if you're going to carry right? I highly suggest the Galco Summer Comfort IWB (Inside the Waist Band) for concealed carry. For OWB (Outside the Waist Band) carry I like the Galco Avenger or Combat Master. These holsters will be a great place to start as they are basic, reliable, and easy to use. There are a lot of other designs out there that you can get to later, so once again, don't get too caught up in the hype of the new wonder holsters. That said, DON'T SKIMP. Buy good quality leather. You'll be tempted to go with a cheaper kydex or nylon holster, but these will fall apart, cost you more in the long run, and discourage you from carrying right from the start. You're going to spend between $70-100 for a holster and that's that. You will also need a belt made for carry. I highly recommend Comp-Tac's kydex reinforced contour belt. My beautiful wife and I both have one and it is by far the best belt I have ever owned, and at a reasonable price too. Galco's belts tend to go for about $120, while the Comp-Tac is $80. A carry specific belt is made to hold the weight of the gun, keep it from moving around, and make for an overall more comfortable experience. A lesser belt will fall apart sooner, be very uncomfortable, and again discourage you from carrying simply because you have cheap gear.

Let's recap again. Galco’s Summer Comfort or one of the OWB holsters, or both but in that order. Comp-Tac belt. This is taking my ten years of carry experience and paring it down to what I have now, saving you the time and cost of experimenting like I have had to do.

Feel free to keep the questions coming, but if you stick to the basics I think you'll be fine and won’t regret any purchases. Sticking to quality basics will also keep you from buying more gear or guns prematurely. Trying to save a couple of dollars on holsters, belts, magazines, ammo and guns is rarely a deal that pays back.
-KP

No comments:

Post a Comment